Monday, January 28, 2008

WAKE UP!

Take a look at the following blog post (language warning):

"I want to cut so bad.
I'm shaking at the moment, from wanting to cut and being so cold. I hate this.
When I was in the tub, my mind wandered from making up that story to my thighs. Fat ass thighs. I saw myself taking the blade and running it from my knee to my hip. Ugh. I haven't cut there in forever and I want it. So easy to hide, it's easy to sit there and tear myself to pieces.
I honestly don't really want this whole recovery crap. I don't think I'm made for it. I'd rather just cut and cut, that makes things better."

If this were your student, how would you minister to them? What would you do? Would you even know if your student had a weblog? How would you know? How do you know that they do not?

Many, if not most, of our students have a blog of some sort. Did you know that there are entire weblog groups created and run by students that encourage one another to hide their self-injury, that tell one another where the cuts can be concealed the easiest? That there are groups dedicated to
Ana (anorexia) and Mia (bulimia) lifestyles?

I don't put these things without purpose, and my purpose is not to make you mad or cause you to be paranoid. My purpose is to issue you, all of us, a wake-up call. If you are a believer, scratch that, if you are a PARENT, you have a responsibility to be involved and engaged in the raising of your children.

We're not talking about someone else's kids, or even the "non-churched" kids. We have had kids in our ministry here at Eastview who self-injure. We have kids who struggle with self-image, which leads to eating disorders.

On March 15th, here at Eastview, we are having a discussion on youth culture. On YOUR youth's culture. I hope you'll join us.

No comments: